Monday, January 31, 2011

Laughing all the way to the bank?

Since I have started working at the grocery store I have generally had a pretty consistent schedule. I would normally work about 4 nights a week and they were normally the same 4 nights a week...sometimes there would be a week when I would work a little less or sometimes I would pick up an extra shift--and that's to be expected when you only work part time. My schedule even remained pretty consistent during the holidays. So imagine my surprise when I recently went in to check my upcoming schedule and I only worked 4 hours--I only worked one day that week. You start to run through all the possible reasons in your head. Did I do something wrong? Maybe it's because the holidays are over and things at the grocery store have slowed down. I went in to check my schedule the next week and I was up to 15 hours--which was (sort of) better. The next week I was down to 8 hours. One part of me says that I hate being at the grocery store and the less time I have to spend there the better. I try to enjoy the time off but then pay day comes, my paycheck sucks and reality sets in. The reality, of course, being that there are bills to pay--which is why I have kept this crappy job in the first place. As a part time cashier I can go from having 20 hours one week to 4 hours the next week--which is a pretty big difference. It becomes very difficult to financially plan and budget when your paycheck varies so much from week to week. One week my paycheck could be enough to cover some bills and the next week I could be checking the ash tray in the car for spare change. But either way I guess working at the grocery store has never exactly had me laughing all the way to the bank!

Take care and happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment