Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Just a little midnight snack

I went to put my jeans on the other day and I have to be honest I really had to hold my breath and really, really suck in to get the button done. And the jeans hadn't even just come out of the dryer so I couldn't blame the dryer for "shrinking" them. Sigh. I glanced at the calendar--I mean, it was just after new years--and I thought I had just put on a little weight over the holidays...but I had to be honest, it was more then just a little weight. I realized the weight has been creeping up on me for a while now and it's because I really, really like food. Now, some of you may be asking, what the hell does this have to do with a blog about being a cashier? Well, besides working in a grocery store and being surrounded by food I also realize the hours I work definitely contribute to very poor eating habits! I normally work until midnight and normally before I leave I get something to eat. And let me tell you I am not picking up a salad or an apple. I get instant ramen noodles (loaded with sodium), or a candy bar (loaded with fat and calories), or a bag of potato chips, or a doughnut, or a microwaveable pizza (have you ever read the nutritional information on a box of pizza?--wow). Oh, you get the idea. So I get off work at 12:00 at night and get home shortly after midnight and I eat whatever junk food I bought at the store. Sometimes I am actually hungry but sometimes I am not hungry. I'm just bored and I want to sit and watch t.v and mindlessly stuff food in my face. I know that I shouldn't really be eating that late. Sometimes I try to compromise with myself so I will eat when I get home from work but I won't eat the junk food. So that means I plan ahead and when I go grocery shopping during the day I anticipate that when I get home at midnight I am going to want something to eat--so I buy fruit or those 100 calorie snack packs or cereal. But the junk food is like a one stand after a night of heavy drinking in college--it seems like a good idea at the time and it's satisfying at midnight--but you will likely regret it in the morning.

So starting here and now I'm going to change the way eat! Maybe it won't happen overnight but I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat better and feel better and have my clothes fit better! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment