Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Unemployment Benefits

Some people may think that if you're unemployed you have a lot of extra time on your hands. I personally think that's sort of a misconception. Since I lost my job at the law firm I have actually been pretty busy...looking for a job! But all (searching for) work and no play makes Jack a dull boy so here are a few suggestions. Things to do if you are unemployed and have some extra free time. 1. Volunteer-Do you love animals? Think about volunteering at a local animal shelter. Do you like kids? Volunteer with Big Brother Big Sister or YMCA. Are you handy with tools? Get in touch with your local Habitat for Humanity. I think being unemployed can be kind of an isolating experience. During the day while friends and family are at work, I was left feeling sort of aimless. So I went online, found a local soup kitchen and signed up to volunteer. Volunteering has been a nice way to connect with other people. I decided that while I was unemployed I wanted to take the time when I wasn't working and turn it into something productive. For me personally, the benefits have been innumerable but here are the top three reasons volunteering has helped me while I search for a full time, "real" job. 1) It's rewarding to help other people. 2) It has provided a sense of structure and purpose to my day. I always try to be productive and keep busy because I don't like vast stretches of time with nothing to do. That being said it can be mentally exhausting just sitting in front of a computer revising your resume and doing the (seemingly) endless online job search. So it's a nice change of pace to wake up and spend a few hours volunteering. 3). It's a nice way to meet people. During the day there were times when I felt like I was the only unemployed person out there. Talking to some of the other volunteers I found that some of them were volunteering because they were unemployed and they wanted something productive to do during the day, too. So it was nice to talk to other people who were sort of in the same boat. We would talk about our job searches and upcoming job interviews. I also recently started hanging out with one of the volunteers--we started a sort of "restaurant club" so after we volunteer at the soup kitchen we pick a restaurant we have never been to before and go out to lunch. It's been fun trying new food! 2. Get a hobby-Now that you have some extra free time try to enjoy it--because hopefully, before you know it you'll be back to work! Now, of course, hobbies can vary greatly depending on your budget, ranging from free to however much you want to spend. I (as you can tell if you're reading this) started writing more often. It's a great, creative hobby that doesn't cost a thing! I have also started doing jigsaw puzzles. I started out with a 500 piece puzzle and have worked my way up to 1,000 piece puzzles (my sister got me one for Christmas that I am--slowly--working on). Does this count as a legitimate hobby? I'm not sure but it's fun, time-consuming , and not too expensive (about $15-$25 a puzzle). A friend of mine found out that a local high school offered an evening photography class, $60 for 6 weeks (an outstanding deal for a photography class) so she signed up. Or maybe pick up a cookbook and work your way through it. Start an unemployment support group. Learn to play an instrument. You get the idea. I think with a little imagination the possibilities are endless. 3. Go to the movie theater (and movie hop)-o.k this advice might be slightly unethical. Here's my point--movie theaters are generally pretty empty in the middle of the day so if you're looking for break in the middle of the day after you've been looking for a job all morning, head over to the movie theater. But since movie theaters can be expensive (especially if you're on a budget) ask if they have any special discounts or special rates. If not maybe get the most for your money by movie hopping. Two movies for the price of one! But if you get caught don't come crying to me! 4. Go to the nearest city. If you live close to a city you can tend to take it for granted and think, "Oh, I can go anytime." But often you never quite get around to it. I live in the 'burbs and the closest city to me is about one hour away. And I actually used to work in the city so I was there five days a week but it was never like I was in the city for fun. So pick a city close to you and play tourist for the day. Museums in the city often have one day a week where they offer free admission to the public. Or check online for discounts or upcoming events. I recently went to restaurant week where participating restaurants offer their lunch and dinner menus for a flat rate. It's a chance to check out restaurants in the city for a reduced price. Also consider public transportation because that way you don't have to worry about driving and paying for parking when you get into the city. So, if there's a place close to you and you've ever found yourself saying, "I've always wanted to go there." or "I've always wanted to see that." Maybe now is your chance. 5. Take a breather. I think in some ways I mean that literally. When I first lost my job at the law firm there was definitely a sense of panic. "What am I going to do?" "How am I going to pay my bills?" Aaarrrggghh! Then I took a deep breath. I inhaled. I exhaled. I counted to 10. Then I though this is a chance to really take inventory of my life--(Does that sound like an episode of Oprah?) I took a minute to think about what I really wanted. My experience at the law firm made me realize I didn't want to work at a large law firm in a skyscraper on the 32nd floor...it all sounded nice on paper but it wasn't realistically a good fit for me. So I made a list of personal and professional goals. On one side of the list were my goals and on the other side was how I thought I could meet those goals. Once I had down on paper what my goals were I realized I wanted to do work with nonprofit organizations. I began revising my resume and focused my job search. I think if I hadn't lost my job at the law firm I might not have taken the time to organize, prioritize and focus on my long term goals. Stay tuned for 5 more suggestions tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment