Wednesday, January 12, 2011

5 more Unemployment Benefits

Here are 5 more things to do until you get back to work:

6. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I sort of believe that if your room, or your car, or your house is cluttered your mind is sort of cluttered, too. So if you're unemployed why not take some time to organize and de-clutter. When I lost my job at the law firm I spent an afternoon cleaning out my closets and drawers and dropped off a few bags of things to the Salvation Army/Good Will. I actually had some brand new stuff in my closet that had been there forever that still had tags on it that I wasn't ever going to wear so I donated it. It made my closet clutter-free and I hoped that the stuff I didn't use anymore would be put to good use by someone else. By getting ride of some of the excess material stuff I had accumulated, I ended up feeling (at least a little) more organized and clear-headed.

7. Do fun, free stuff. o.k I know this may sound both vague and obvious. But I guess what I mean is ask yourself what you enjoy doing and then ask yourself is there a way I can do this for free? For example, I really like to read. I used to go to book stores and buy books--now, I go to the library and check books out. I love shopping (and buying). Now, I head to the mall and window shop. (Although, I have to admit sometimes this one is a little depressing and it takes willpower not to actually buy anything). I also like to walk so I try to make an effort to head over to the park that is right by my house and spend some time outside getting some fresh air. Or ask yourself what can I do for free. Start by checking online or read your local newspaper to see what upcoming events are going on in your area. Some of them may be cheap or free.

8. Play Catch Up! Catch up on your sleep! I can't tell you how much I love an afternoon cat nap--but that tends to be frowned upon at the office--so it's nice when I feel tired at around 4:00 in the afternoon to shut off the computer, take a break from the job search, and curl up for a nap. I wake up feeling refreshed. How many of you out there were totally wiped out by Friday when you were doing the 9:00-5:00 or working two jobs? Well, now is a chance to curl up on the couch and take a nap in the middle of the day or to get a full eight hours and wake up mentally alert and ready to go! Or catch up on your reading! Do you have a stack of books sitting on the shelf that you have been wanting to read? Now's the time. Or catch up with old friends. If I have a few hours in the afternoon I take some time to send e-mails or texts to friends I haven't talked to in a while.

9. People watching--I enjoy going into a Starbucks or a Borders or a restaurant in the middle of the day and people-watching. I didn't really have a chance or the time to just take a break in the middle of the day before-whether it was to people watch or read a magazine or watch daytime t.v. (especially since it's the last season of Oprah's talk show).

10. Go back to school-now might be the time to consider going back to school whether it's because you're considering a career change or if you just want to learn more about a subject that has always interested you. So consider picking up a course catalogue from your local college since community colleges often have (relatively) cheap continuing education courses. I have always wanted to learn about photography techniques and how to develop pictures in a dark room. Now might be a good time to do that!

Now, I know not all of these suggestions are feasible for everyone who is unemployed. But for those of you out there who are in the unemployment boat I hope you found at least a few of these ideas to be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment