Thursday, January 27, 2011

(In)security cameras

So it's really no secret that there are surveillance cameras throughout the grocery store--in fact I think they are hoping if people know security cameras are there it will deter them from stealing or whatever other criminal things they might be thinking of. But to be honest I never gave the cameras much thought. After all I'm not stealing, I don't sell cigarettes to customers who are underage and I don't give my friends or other people free groceries (well, not on purpose anyway--but that's a story for another day) so why would I worry about the security cameras? Also, the bookstore where I used to work had security cameras but none of the managers ever played back any of the tapes and I heard from someone that after a certain amount of time the cameras got reset and recorded over old footage anyway. Well, the other night one of the night managers came up and asked me a question about one of the customers who had been in the store shopping a few nights ago. I said I was sorry but I didn't really remember anything in particular about that customer. Well image my surprise when the night manager said, "That's ok. I was watching the surveillance tapes and you went on break right after he came through your line so I didn't expect you to see much anyway." So I went back to whatever it was I had been doing (I think I was cleaning registers) but the conversation got me thinking. Now obviously he had watched the tapes relating to a specific incident and I wasn't involved in any way because I hadn't even been there but it got me thinking about the security footage in general. Who has access to these tapes (I'm pretty sure just the managers)? And how often do they watch them? Do they sit around on a regular basis and laugh at all the dumb shit people do when they think no one is watching?

So the more I thought about it I started to feel a bit self conscious and insecure. Like I said earlier--I don't do anything unethical or against company policy but I have to admit--I work until midnight and sometimes I get BORED! So if they watched the tapes back would they see me talking to myself once in while--it's quite possible. Would they see me singing and dancing if a song comes on the store that I like--yup, probably. What if I look fat on camera? (you know they say the camera adds 10 pounds). Or what if I have on a tight pair of underwear and it's riding up my ass...well, you get the idea. And sometimes (as I have mentioned before) I just sit around and do nothing but read magazines. So if any of the managers play back the security tapes hopefully I give them a few laughs and hopefully I don't do anything too embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment