Monday, January 24, 2011

Two out of Three Ain't Bad

It was Saturday night and I was curled up wearing an over-sized t-shirt and pajama pants, sipping on a cup of tea, working on a puzzle and watching a Cheers marathon on t.v. I had a load of clothes that had just come out of the dryer and I had just made my bed so my sheets were all nice and warm. Overall I was pretty content. I was just considering taking a short nap when my cell phone rang. At first I didn't recognize the number that came up on the caller i.d, then when I looked at the number again I realized it was the grocery store's number. And I knew they weren't calling to talk about the weather or the latest episode of Glee. Every time they call it's because someone has called out of work and they want someone to come in to cover the shift. A few Saturdays ago Rose called and asked if I could come into work and after thinking about it for a minute I said, 'Sure. When?' And she said, 'Ummm, like, now?' I said I would be there. The next Saturday they called again and asked if I could come into work for a few hours and I said yes.

So now I had a decision to make. Did I answer the phone and get called into work or did I just let it go to voicemail? On one hand I needed the money. On the other hand I just didn't feel like having to drop everything I was doing (even if it was just working on a puzzle and watching t.v)and rushing into work. Anyway, I won't keep you in suspense--I decided to let it go to voicemail. I figured if they left a message and they really needed help I would go. I waited for a few minutes and there was no voicemail. About 20 minutes later they called back again. And I let it go to voicemail...again. Since there was no message, I didn't call back and I didn't go into work. I felt sort of guilty but I ended up spending a quiet night at home in my comfy pajamas and I figure the last two times they called me into work on very short notice on a Saturday night I had said yes--so I guess as Meatloaf says, two out of three ain't bad, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment