Thursday, January 13, 2011

So what do you do for money?

I like working with Shirley. She's nice and fun to talk to. The other day Shirley and I were talking about our schedules. She mentioned that she was working three nights that week. That was a lot for her because she also works full time during the day and had two kids that had various after school activities. She asked me what my schedule was like. I told her when I was working that week. "That's not a lot of hours." she said. "And you're still not working during the day, right?" No beating around the bush there. "No. I haven't gotten another job yet." I told her, feeling embarrassed. "So what are you doing for money?" She asked me. Trying to keep things light while at the same time conveying that I wasn't going to talk about money (or lack thereof) I laughed and said, "Well, I am a stripper during the day so I make some extra money that way." Shirley laughed and then a customer came up to her register so the subject (thankfully) was closed. So when she asked me that a few things ran through my mind at the same time. First thing--wow, that's rude and tactless. I mean, isn't that a bit like asking someone, "Wow, are you sure you can fit your fat ass into that size 2 dress?"  But I do understand that since she is a mother with bills and a mortgage payment maybe to her it seemed like a logical and practical question to ask--and it is. Secondly, the irony struck me that she was asking me what I did for money while I was at work. I mean it's not like I volunteer at the grocery store. I do work there. Sure it;s not a lot but I do get paid to be there. So while on one hand it was nice that she felt comfortable enough to ask and have a real conversation about work and finances, on the other hand it was a pretty personal question about my financial situation that was not really any of her business.

No comments:

Post a Comment