Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's not a purse


This may be a slightly dated reference but are there any Seinfeld fans out there?

There was a man who came through my line the other day.  It was a normal order and at the end of his order I gave him the total and I watched as he picked up a bag and took his wallet out it.  I don't know what else I can call it but a man purse--it wasn't a shoulder bag, it wasn't a manly satchel bag, it wasn't even a fanny pack--it was a legitimate purse.  I sort of glanced around to see if there was a woman with him to see if maybe he was holding the purse for a wife or girlfriend.  Nope, he was solo.

I thought of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets tired or carrying his wallet and all sorts of other stuff in his pockets so Elaine gets him a "man bag" from J-Peterman.  Elaine insists it's not a purse, it's a 'European carry-all'.  Jerry starts carrying this bag around which looks like a purse.  His girlfriend even convinces him to carry around her lipstick in the bag because she doesn't have any pockets.

Don't get me wrong--I don't mind the whole metrosexual thing and I like guys who are comfortable in their masculinity but I really think there's no need for guys to carry a purse.  Do you agree?

Anyway, so as he put his wallet back into his man purse, I thought to myself, I not a purse it's a European carry-all.

No comments:

Post a Comment