Monday, June 6, 2011

Two weeks notice

As I have gotten to know Chuck he has become one of my favorite co-workers. He's fun and has this crazy, hyper sort of energy so when you work with him he makes things fun and you'll have a few laughs. He's unpredicatable so you never really know what he's going to do or say next--and while that character trait might make me a little nervous in "real life" I like it when I'm working as a cashier (one of the most boring jobs on the planet). It keeps things interesting. He's been working as a cashier since he was a freshman in high school and now he's getting ready to graduate. Since I am also quite a bit older (I won't do the math about exactly how many years older I am) then Chuck I have sort of gotten to have this big sisterly concern for him. As his tells me stories about wild nights and (excessive) underage drinking I smile or laugh but always tell him to be careful! For the past few months he has been talking about how much he hates working at the grocery store. I sort of got the feeling that this was more then just normal 'I hate my job' type venting. It sort of became a running joke that he was quitting. So every time we worked together he would say, 'Today's my last day'. And I would roll my eyes and laugh and say, 'You're not allowed to quit.' So when I came into work the other day and Chuck said, 'This is it--I'm leaving in two weeks' I laughed and said, 'You say that all time.' He said, 'No, I really mean it.' And this time he was serious. This time he had really given his two weeks notice. He says he'll come back in and visit but even if he does visit, it won't be quite the same. So I'll definitely miss him but I'm also really excited for him. He's a creative, energetic 18 year old kid with so many options and unlimited possibilities. It's really nice to see someone move on to something better. Good luck, Chuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment