Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Three strikes and you're out

When you first start work at the grocery store you have an orientation and you get a handbook with all the company policies and rules. If you do something that violates company policy while you're at work you can get written up. Being written up is sort of a warning or a slap on the wrist to say 'Don't do this again.' The cashier supervisor is the one who monitors the cashiers and baggers and writes people up. So when a cashier or bagger does something wrong it is completely left up to the discretion of the cashier supervisor if they write someone up or not. If you get written up three times the manager can take further disciplinary action--which can be anything from suspension to termination. All in all I think this is a pretty fair policy--unless it is abused by power-hungry people who let just a little, tiny bit of authority go to their head. This is why I dislike Barbara so much. Barbara is a cashier supervisor who has taken the little bit of authority she has at the grocery store and run amuk! She is a petty, ridiculous person. She writes people up for the most minor infractions. I work with this kid who had just washed his work shirt and after it came out of the wash he forgot to put his name tag back on. He came into work without his name tag and Barbara wrote him up. Now, I understand that it is the job of the cashier supervisor to make sure that all the cashiers and baggers are doing their job and complying with company policy but I also think you have to be flexible and recognize when someone has just made an honest mistake. I feel justified in saying this because I was actually a cashier supervisor when I worked at the grocery store in high school so I have a general idea about how it works. As a cashier supervisor I made sure people did their work but I was never nasty or petty about it. And I feel like pointing out to Barbara that she gets a feeling of authority from a job that a high school student is qualified to do. Is running around and making everyone around you miserable worth that small rush you get from feeling like you're in charge? I don't think so. Barbara hasn't written me up...yet. It's probably because I don't work with her very often--in fact I deliberately do everything possible to make sure I don't work with her. I have actually given away shifts because I looked at the work schedule and noticed that I would be working with Barbara. I decided I would rather lose money and keep (what's left of) my sanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment