Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wearing your heart on your (t-shirt) sleeve

Being a cashier is (obviously) not a hot button issue so I certainly didn't start writing this blog for the sake of highly intellectual, heated political or religious debate. I try to be respectful of all religious and political beliefs but the other night a guy came through my line wearing a T-shirt that said, "Jesus died for you." This made me disproportionately angry. One (small) part of me said, "Calm down, it's just a T-shirt. But mostly I was just really angry--furious, actually! Let me be perfectly clear here--Jesus did not die for me or my sins! I wasn't even around at the time and if I had been there I'm sure I would have said, "Hey, you don't need to do anything drastic on my account!" I mean I feel guilty when I go out of town and have to ask someone to feed my fish for me, so you can imagine the guilt I would feel if I had to walk around thinking someone had died for me. I couldn't take it! No wonder there's so much "catholic guilt" Oy vey! And of course I couldn't say anything to this guy about his obnoxious T-shirt because he was a customer so I had to (literally) bit my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment