Monday, March 21, 2011

(Un)happy Anniversary!

The word anniversary generally has a positive connotation. A couple will say, "Oh, we're celebrating our three year anniversary." Or, "My grandparents are celebrating their 58th wedding anniversary." And the person they are talking to will smile and say congratulations! But this is an anniversary I would rather forget! Had I really been working at the grocery store for a year already? How is that possible? This was supposed to be a temporary thing to help me get caught up on some bills and to help hold me over while I looked for a "real" job--the job I really wanted. This reminds me of Shirley and her three year plan. Shirley is another cashier who works another job full time during the day and also works a few nights a week at the grocery store. Shirley is really sweet and really funny and I really like working with her. Her three year plan is basically that when she got hired at the grocery store she wouldn't be there for any more then three years. At the time she started working at there she was going through a divorce and wanted to pay off some bills and needed the extra income. She saw the cashier gig as a temporary thing. She is now on year two and I hope she sticks to her plan! So on my (un)happy anniversary as a disgruntled grocery store cashier I promised myself that I will do everything I can to make sure that I don't have a second anniversary at the grocery store. I'm going to make sure that at this time next year I will have a career not just a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment