Thursday, March 24, 2011

Don't have a cow, man!

I have been working at the grocery store for over a year now and I have to say in all that time no one coming through my line has ever bought veal--until the other night. And I have to say I was really disgusted. I have never in my life (knowingly) eaten veal and the idea of eating it is morally reprehensible to me. I don't think anyone I know eats veal. I hated to be selling these people packaged baby cows--I know they're actually called calves- (especially with some of the horror stories I have heard about what they do to the baby cows) and the idea that these people would be cooking it for dinner turned my stomach. I am morally opposed to fois gras (which is goose or duck liver)for a similar reason. The basic idea is that the liver is prepared to be served by a nasty process of force-feeding the poor animal until their liver becomes enlarged. Now I have to admit this is hypocritical on my part because I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian. There's a lot of meat I don't or won't eat but I love chicken and turkey and cheese. My sister is a vegan and has a sort of all or nothing view about eating meat and animal products but I disagree. I love animals and that's one of the reasons I don't eat lamb (they're too cute) or seafood or most pork or deer. I also don't wear fur or (knowingly) buy things made out of leather. I guess we all draw our own lines about what is morally right and wrong so I'll try not to judge these people--even if I disagree with them! And I think every little thing you do to promote animal rights makes a difference. If everyone does just a little you start to see the impact. I think is applicable to enviornmental issues as well. Baby steps aren't any less significant just because they're small.

No comments:

Post a Comment