Monday, March 28, 2011

Don't spend it all it one place

I was at work the other night when Carrie came up and handed me a letter in a sealed envelope. At first I just took it and said, 'Thank you.' Not really paying attention to what she had given me, I just assumed it was my paycheck. I finished checking out my customer and looked at what Carrie had just handed me. When I looked at it again I realized it wasn't my paycheck, it was actually a letter with letterhead from the corporate office. My mind ran through all the possibilities. Was I in trouble? What had I done? Was I being named employee of the decade?--ha ha. I tore open the envelope and read the letter. As it turned out it was none of those things. The letter said, 'We are pleased to inform you that based on your performance and length of employment you have been approved for a pay increase. Your current hourly wage is $8.15 an hour.' I thought to myself, "Oh my god! Now I know what it must feel like to win the lottery! What will I do with all the extra money? I can buy myself that brand new car and finally take that trip to the Caribbean! Or...maybe not. Now, of course, a pay raise is always good news and I don't want to sound ungrateful but I think most people would agree that a .25 cent raise doesn't really amount to much. So as I said any raise is nice but it is sort of disheartening to see in black and white that your monetary value is $8.15 an hour. I just hope I don't go spending that extra 15 cents all in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment