Thursday, March 31, 2011

Don't you people have jobs?

Just to give anyone reading this fair warning: This is going to be just about the most hypocritical thing I have ever said/thought/written. I came into Starbucks today because I wanted to sit down and get some writing done. First off--I felt very stereotypical--the underemployed person recently graduated from higher education with millions of dollars in student loan debt--walking into a coffee shop with their laptop in the middle of the afternoon struggling to write something really good but really just hoping it turns out halfway decent. All I wanted was to order a drink, sit in one of the big cushioned armchairs by the outlet so I could plug in my laptop and start writing (what will undoubtedly become a very important literary work). But the place was PACKED and imagine my disbelief when some middle-aged, slightly overweight, gray haired business man in a suit is sitting in my cushy armchair. He has his laptop and some files in front of him like Starbucks is his own personal office (And yes, I am fully aware of the irony of complaining about this man as I am walking in with my laptop and my bag overflowing with three spiral notebooks, a binder, a datebook and folders like I fucking own the place) But this man has a suit and a job and presumably an office--shouldn't he be there? Eventually the man got up and I got my seat and plugged my laptop. I stayed there throughout the afternoon writing and watching people come and go. As I was watching the customers come and go, I just thinking to myself, "Don't these people have jobs?" Why aren't they at work? Presumably these people were wondering the same thing about the girl in the corner with her laptop--who refused to give up the good armchair by the electrical socket. But I have a reason for being here--I'm a writer...right? Maybe...but not really. It was that experience that emphasized for me how much I really miss having a definite place to go from 9:00-5:00 during the work week. I think given the choice people want to work. They like to work. It's nice to be part of a working team and to feel like you're doing good work and contributing to something. I imagine not having can be a real hit your self confidence--actually, I don't have to image it...I know it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment