Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Go Ahead make my day

Yesterdays blog was about a customer from hell...well I believe that most people are good, decent, kind people so here is a blog about a customer who made me laugh and made my day better.

This customer came through my line and I was bored and there wasn't anything particularly memorable about him. I might have said, 'Hi. How are you?' but I honestly don't even remember. He put his groceries on the belt and I began (mindlessly) scanning the groceries. I was standing there (mindlessly) scanning boxes of cereal and bags of frozen vegetables when he said I bet you're wondering what to scan first the chicken or the eggs. At first I just smiled politely, not really understanding what on earth he was talking about--then I glanced down at his groceries sitting on the belt and saw that there was a package of chicken right next to a carton of eggs. I started laughing out loud.  Let's be honest--it was a pretty cheesy joke.  It may have seemed like a small thing but it was clever and unexpected and when your job is as monotonous as being a cashier believe me any pleasant conversation is welcome. The fact that it just came out of the blue like that made me laugh.

I guess I chose to write about this customer because he probably walked out of the store and forgot all about me and the comment he made but I was chuckling about that for the rest of my shift. He made my night go by just a little bit faster and I'm sure I was more pleasant to my other customers that night as a result. His joke was a random act of kindness that was noticed and appreciated and hopefully I paid it forward by being a little more pleasant to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment