Monday, October 11, 2010

5 signs that your cashier likes you. . .

How many times a week do you go to the grocery store? I'm sure for the most part you go in, pick up your groceries, go through the checkout line, pay for the groceries and don't give your cashier a second thought. Don't feel bad--most people do that. But the truth is if your cashier likes you there are (admittedly, small) things they can do to make your shopping trip easier or more pleasant. And if they don't like you it is possible you might go home with squashed bread or shaken up soda (that the cashier is hoping with explode when you open it...although chances are it won't). So here are 10 ways you can tell if your cashier likes you (part I)...

1. You can tell your cashier likes you if you buy something that's on sale and they point out to you ways to save extra money.  Often our store has buy one get one free sales and if a customer has bought only one I will mention that it's BOGO and ask them if they would like to go grab another one.  It shows that I like the customer because I am being conscientious, paying attention to their order and trying to find ways to save them money or get the best deal possible.

2. You can tell your cashier likes you if when they are loading your shopping cart they tell you where the bag with the eggs and the bread is (the flip side of the coin is that if they don't like you, your bag of bread will probably end up somewhere toward the bottom of the cart with heavy groceries on top of the bread. . .but we'll get to the signs that your cashier hates you later this week)

3. You can tell your cashier likes you if the cashier points out if any of the items you have bought is damaged (a tear in a bag, an open box, if something wasn't sealed properly, if the milk is leaking--you get the idea) and asks if you would like to get another one. This means your cashier likes you because it shows that the cashier is conscientious and paying attention to your grocery order.  I have to admit that there have been times when a customer has been nasty to me and I have sent them home with a bag of frozen vegetables that I noticed had a hole in it.

4. You can tell your cashier likes you if they make a mistake...and then they 'fess up to it and do everything they can to try to help you fix it. Here's a quick example--I hate to admit it but when a customer hands me coupons I set them aside and sometimes I forget to scan the coupons at the end of the order. But 99% of the time as I am handing the customer their change and their receipt I will see the coupons that I forgot sitting there on the counter. If I like the customer I will tell them I forgot to scan the coupon, apologize, and make sure they get their money. It may be a slight inconvenience to the customer but it's generally pretty quick and easy to take care of while they are still at the register. And some of the customers just say, "oh, no problem. I'll just use it next time I'm in the store." If a customer has been mean or nasty to me I will most often let them walk out the door and "forget" all about their coupons--so ha!  Take that you nasty customer. See sometimes, it pays to be a little nice.

5. You can tell your cashier likes you if you buy a candy bar or gum or and the cashier asks you if you would like to hold onto it or if you would like it in a bag. It shows I like you because generally these are items that people will be using pretty soon after they buy them so I am trying to save you the time of having to dig around in all of the grocery bags for the candy bar, gum, soda, or whatever it is later on.

You may have noticed a common theme here--I know these are all really small things but if you cashier likes you they will often go out of there way to help you or do what they can to help to make your shopping trip just a little more pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. uh, no. These are all things I would do as a cashier for any customer. Even a grumpy rude customer who was trying my patience.

    So annoying when a customer thinks because I'm doing my job well, he should ask me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!How ignorant! Seems like you never took a training for customer service.
    The five things you mention are required in most jobs. When you are cashier, your job security depends on being nice with the customer, and make sure the customer is so happy that will come back soon.
    Cashiers are just doing their job, even when you think they want you to get into their pants! For real! It's just their job. They are just doing a great job! Maybe they just want a raise soon!
    You dont know anything about dating, and you dont know anything about how the business works

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, these five things that you mention, it's exactly what you are supposed to do with all customers, when you are cashier!
    God! Dmn
    If I am your boss, I would just fire you just because you want to be nice only with your crush. You are supposed to be nice with everybody!!

    ReplyDelete