Tuesday, October 12, 2010

5 (more) signs your cashier likes you...


Ok...here it is.  5 more signs that you have made friends with your cashier at the grocery store...

6. How often have you been in a store looking all over for something and you just can't find it--it can drive you crazy, right?  Then after walking around for what feels like forever you ask someone who works there where it is.  This is where being friendly to the employee can make difference because ultimately they decide how helpful they want to be.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with if they like you or not--it just depends on how much time they have or what it is your looking for.  Sometimes a customer has asked me where something is and I really have no idea where it is.  If I want to be helpful then I will go ask someone else to see if they know where it might be.  Sometimes, if you can't find an item in the store the cashier will actually walk with you to show you where the item is.  I have had customers come up to me and ask me where something is in the store.  If I know where it is I am always happy to tell them.  And most of the time I say oh cereal is aisle 4 and that is sufficient.  They say thank you and walk off toward aisle 4.  Sometimes they are looking for a specific brand or item or they say I have looked and I can't find it.  Of course, good customer service is always to walk with the customer and help them find whatever it is they are looking for.  But really at this point the cashier has a few options.  If I like the customer I will walk over with them and help them find it.  If I don't like the customer at all I will simply repeat myself.  "It's in aisle 4." and sometimes I add for good measure, "if it's not there I don't know where else it would be." and then I sort of walk away.  Sometimes it's not a matter of if I like a customer or not.  Sometimes it's just logistics--if I'm just busy or in the middle of doing something else I might not be able to walk the customer over to the item but I might try to give them more specific directions--like oh it's about halfway down aisle 4 on the right hand side..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment