Thursday, February 17, 2011

Just a single serving


So I am (still) making an ongoing effort to try to eat better...but it's not always successful.  Like eating a package of ramen noodles when I get home from work at night.  Logically, I know they're soooo not good for me and have the nutritional content of cardboard--but they're quick and easy and (as anyone on a budget knows) incredibly, incredibly cheap and something nice and warm to eat to when it's really cold outside.  So I came home from work late one night and started making a package of ramen noodles.  As the water was boiling and the noodles were cooking I glanced at the Nutrition Facts on the back of the package--There is 190 calories in a serving.  Per serving the total fat is 7g (11%) Total Saturated fat is 3.5g (18%).  There is no cholesterol, no vitamin A, no vitamin C.  And I thought to myself wow that really isn't great and then I noticed that the serving size is 1/2 block of noodles with seasoning.  That means that eating one package of ramen noodle soup is consuming 360 calories with 14 grams of fat and doubling everything else (you can do the math if you feel like it).  My question to you is this--is there anyone out there who really only eats half a package of ramen noodles?  I'm sure those people must exist but I have never heard of them.  I often finish a whole one and I'm still sort of hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment