Wednesday, November 10, 2010

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

My perception is that the grocery store where I work is falling apart. Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are repairs being made and maintenance being done that I don't notice--but I can tell you that there are leaks in the roof. And at a more fundamental level some of the basic equipment necessary for grocery store isn't even working properly. Some of the cash drawers are literally taped together. Some of the printer machines that print out receipts are falling apart. And this got me to thinking, 'how can any worker do their job (regardless of where they work) well or take any sort of pride in their work if the don't have the things necessary to do their job right?' I'm not even talking specifically about the grocery store. I remember one of the law firms where I used to work had a postage meter. Once the postage meter ran out of funds. This meant that all correspondence to our clients, court documents that needed to be mailed to the court, appeals that needed to be mailed sat on our desks until the postage meter was fixed. Nothing got mailed for a few days and everything was at a stand still. This may seem like a small thing but it was something that made it difficult to get work done. I'm not saying that every checkout lane has to have a brand new cash register but I believe it's important to maintain what is there and replace equipment as it becomes necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment