Monday, November 29, 2010

Bizarro Black Friday

What is the opposite of Black Friday? Teal Tuesday? Somehow that sounded funnier in my head but I'm gonna go with it...Anyway, have you ever wondered to yourself, "Well, where can I go on Black Friday that will be practically deserted? If you are looking to avoid the mad dash to the stores and people elbowing each other and knocking each other over to get the perfect gift (because shoving the little old lady in front of you to get the last 'Piss my Pants Polly doll' is totally in the spirit of the Christmas season) I have the answer for you. If you are looking for 'Bizarro' Black Friday spend it at the grocery store. While retailers all across the country are gearing up for the annual mad frenzy of shopping and spending the grocery store is practically empty. It's like getting tickets to a Miley Cyrus concert (no one listens to her anymore, right?) when there is a Lady Gaga concert going on right down the street. No lines, no waiting at the Miley concert because everyone is at the Gaga show.  I think this happens for a few reasons 1) everyone is out shopping at Black Friday sales and 2) It's the day after Thanksgiving--no one is thinking about food or grocery shopping! They have too much food at their house as it is. So I got stuck at work on Black Friday. There were 5 cashiers, 1 bagger and no customers. And I couldn't stop yawning (I think I still had a bit of a turkey hang over).  The customers we did have were really just running into the store to pick up a few things.  No one was really doing any serious grocery shopping.  The store manager didn't feel like being there either and there wasn't much work to do so overall it was a quiet, low key night without a lot of work to do.  I figured it wasn't too bad being there and being paid for doing nothing.  "Just enjoy it while it lasts!" I thought to myself, "Because in a few weeks it will be a zoo in here--everyone shopping for holiday dinner, holiday parties, Christmas cookies.  The mad rush generally starts at the beginning of December.  Then through the first week of January everyone makes that new years resolution to lose weight and eat healthier so they stock up on Slim Fast shakes, health food and rice cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment