Tuesday, September 20, 2011

When it rains its pours...



My sister had visited for the weekend.  She was taking the train back into the city on Monday and I took her to the train station.  The train station is up the road from the house (like a 5 minute drive).  I figured I would run her up to the train station and turn right back around.  I was so confident that I would be right back that I threw on jeans, an oversized t-shirt (aka my pajamas) and flip flops and left the house with just my car keys--no purse, no cell phone, nada.  The sky was an ominous gray--if you don't know where I'm going with this yet, don't worry--I'll get there.  While we were waiting at the station for the train I turned the car engine off but had the radio on.  Before you start with the lectures--I know, I know this uses up the battery!  But I figured we would just be waiting there for a few minutes and that it would be ok.  After we were waiting there for a while I turned the car off completely.  We sat in the car talking for a few minutes and finally the train pulled up into the station.  My sister got out of the car and got onto the train.  As the train was pulling away I turned the key in the ignition and heard the dreaded click, click, click of a dead car battery.  Right on cue it started pouring down rain.  Now just to refresh your memory--I didn't have my purse or cell phone (see above about how I thought I would just run my sister right to the train station and turn around and go right back home) so my only option was to walk back to the house in the rain.  Cursing myself and mother nature I took (or more like angrily snatched) the umbrella from the back of the car and started to trek in the rain, back home.  (As a side note I normally wouldn't even mind having to walk back home except as I had mentioned earlier I was practically in pajamas and didn't exactly have walking shoes on).  I had only been walking a minute or two and I and was wondering what I had done in a past life for my luck to be so bad when a car pulled up next to me with the driver calling my name.  I glanced up and saw it was a neighbor.  He asked if I needed a ride back to the house and I very gratefully said sure.  As he was driving back to the house I explained the whole, sad story to him.  He dropped me off at the house.  I was wet and stressed and worried about how the hell I would be able to come up with the extra money to pay for a new car battery.  I took a deep breath grabbed my cell phone--lying right where I had a left it on the bed by my purse--to call AAA.  I saw that I had a voicemail.  I impatiently grabbed the phone.  It was an attorney calling about a resume I had submitted.  So here I was dripping, cranky, with a dead car battery but I had to put on a happy face and call this attorney back.  So I set the wheels in motion (pun slightly intended) to have AAA get my car moving again and then called Mr. Attorney back.  Before I called him back I pulled up the cover letter and resume I sent him--I had sent it 2 weeks ago--which I think is like 10 years in dog years in calling back after you've submitted a resume!  I had forgotten what the job was even for.  So there I was trying to sound happy, professional and juggle that with AAA and the car battery.

Everything happens all at once...or when it rains, it pours (sometimes literally).  But I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment