Monday, September 19, 2011

Show and tell...

So I have a job interview scheduled...yaa hoo!  I had had a few other interviews but this one seemed to be the most promising.  The job was for a full-time paralegal and the position was posted on Craigslist--since it was on Craigslist I didn't know the name of the firm ahead of time.  The other interviews I had were for part-time legal assistant work and I was really looking for a full-time gig.  The office manager called to schedule an interview and to gave me the details I would need.  After I got off the phone I quickly went online to research the firm.  It was a firm with a very good reputation in the city.  I decided to get to the interview, rather then trying to fight the traffic and one-way streets and circling the block trying to find parking I would take the train--good old, reliable public transportation.  I took the train and got there with no problems.  Much to my surprise the train didn't break down on the way there and I didn't get lost--actually having worked in the city before I found the office pretty easily.  OK...so far, so good.

I went into the lobby, smiled at the receptionist and told her I was there for a meeting with the attorneys.  I sat in the lobby for a few minutes making small talk with the receptionist/office manager and trying not to fidget.  I won't bore you with the details of the interview (unless you ask later).  I met with one of the partners first and I liked him right away.  We did the standard interview...tell me a little bit about yourself and this is what the job would be...blah, blah, blah.  Overall the interview was pretty short and sweet.

When the interview was over, I smiled, thanked them...you all know the drill.  When I left the office building I grabbed my cell to check the time and I realized the next train back home was leaving in 15 minutes.  the office building was a little bit of a hike from the train station so I got moving as fast as my short little legs in heels would carry me.  When I got to the train station I glanced at the board that showed the departing trains and saw that my train was leaving...now!  I raced through the train station and down the stairs to the platform.  As I hauled ass down the stairs I saw the train sitting there.  
 
I literally hopped on to the train.  Whew!  Just made it.  But you know it couldn't be that easy, right?  I found a seat, took a deep breath.  As the train pulled out the station I glanced down and noticed that one of the buttons on my blouse was undone--showing my sensible cotton bra.  All I could do the whole train ride back home was hope that the button had come undone as I was rushing to the train station and that it hadn't been undone for any part of the interview--because talk about a bad time to have a wardrobe malfunction...

No comments:

Post a Comment