Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Good...

It seems to me that really good and really bad customer service have one thing in common--listening! When customer service is good it is generally because someone has listened to the customer. So here (just in time for holiday shopping) is my list of the top 5 places for the best customer service (in no particular order)

1) Payless. As I was thinking of this list I have to say this one suprised me. I didn't realize how impressed I was with their customer service until recently. I love, love, love shoes and when shoes are cheap I love them even more. So I am in Payless kind of often (probably way more then I should be). There are 3 Payless stores that are in my area and at each of these three stores the people who work there are friendly, helpful and hard working. They personally greet each customer as they come into the store and ask if they can help you find anything. I was in one the other day looking at a really cute pair of shoes but I couldn't find them in my size (the story of my life). The store was pretty busy but the lady working there was climbing up ladders to see if they had my size and when she couldn't find them she offered to call around to other stores in the area to see if they were there.

2) Starbucks--Now of course Starbucks is so ubiquitous and every one is different but overall I like going into Starbucks. I have to admit I may be a bit biased because I have been writing there lately so I pay for a small drink and then sip on it for the rest of the afternoon and use their free wireless internet--they have to be losing money on me as a customer. Anyway, the barristas are well-trained, energetic and have a lot of personality. Most of them are very outgoing and they genuinely seem to enjoy talking to customers. They almost always recognize "regular" customers and make suggestions about what other types of drinks they might like based on what they have ordered before. All the barristas don't seem to just be serving coffee--they all actually seem pretty knowledgeable about the types of coffee they have (the flavors and how strong each is) and the other products they sell as well. I am also impressed by how efficiently it is run. They have a steady stream of people going in and out throughout the day but they never seem to have really long lines or a long wait. They sort of operate as an assembly line and each person works quickly and efficiently.

3. State Farm--I think I included this one because I know most people hate dealing with their insurance company because of all the red tape and because the only time you really need to talk to your insurance company is when something has gone wrong but my State Farm rep. has always tried to make things as painless as possible. I have had State Farm as my car insurance carrier since I first started driving. I have to admit I don't exactly have a spotless driving record. Each time I have called my agents office I get through to a person right away--no automated system--no press 1 if you want to file a claim today--I talk to an actual person. She is always friendly and professional and answers each question I have. When I got into a small fender bender in a shopping center parking lot they were quick and efficient. She was sympathetic (it was totally my fault--how I could hit a parked car I will never understand) as she took my statement and I had to explain what happened. Then State Farm paid the claim and that was it. Years ago I got into an actual traffic accident. This was the first accident I had ever had involving another vehicle on the road and I was a little shaken up. My agent explained the process to me and answered each question I had. Both insurance companies took our statements reviewed the police report and investigated the accident. I feel I should mention they found it wasn't my fault--that's not just me saying it wasn't my fault--that was the finding of the offical investigation based on the police accident report. Even though it was found not to be my fault his insurance company wouldn't pay the claim and my agent actually called his insurance company in an attempt to get everything sorted out. It seemed my agent was in my corner and went above and beyond to help me out.  So they have a track record of promptly paying out when it is my fault and trying to help me sort things out and get payment from the other insurance company when it is not fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment