Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I'm never shopping here again!

We all say things we don't mean out of frustration. And how many times have we made idle threats that we know we don't mean. Like a parent saying to their kids in the backseat, "If you two don't behave I will turn this car around and we will go back home right now!" There is a customer who comes into the store--all the time--and every time he comes in if someone does something that upsets him, he says, "I'm never shopping here again." Oh, how I wish he meant that...and at first I believed him, but now it's just an empty threat and I know I will see him again next week. I have actually talked about this customer before. Steve is the guy who complained to me that the deli case was out of cheese and he said that he was never coming back into this store again because he was sick of us always being out of the things he was looking for. He came into the store last night. He came through my line, I asked how he was. He grunted at me in his typical caveman way, I rang up his order, he paid, he left--nothing extraordinary (except I did notice that he had cheese from the deli). Carrie, one of the people who works at the customer service counter came up to me and said, "Last week that guy said we were out of and he was never coming back in here again." "I know, he's said that to me before, too." I said laughing. As Carrie put it, and I was thinking it, too. "It just makes him look like an asshole. Especially when it's a small store and you know when you say that to someone they will recognize you when you come back in here again." The other thing is that our store is in the shopping center where Steve's gym is so I imagine it's just really convenient for him to run over to the store after he leaves the gym. So convenience wins out over frustration. Although in Steve's defense we do seem to be out of stuff alot. Anyway, I guess the point is when your shopping or dealing with someone in customer service try not to say things out of frustration or make empty threats because you may have to eat your words later on. Take care and happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment